Thursday 16 July 2020

Careful with your self-talk if you’re prone to diving down a rabbit hole.


It amazes me how quickly, and so easily, I head off to Wonderland.  My therapist Paula used to marvel at my ability to project multi-layered, and totally unsupported, scenarios onto even the simplest of events, like someone not calling or texting me back.  I immediately ask my brain to send me all of the things I could have possibly done wrong and, of course, my brain does what it’s told and sends me endless possibilities…..and down the rabbit hole I go. The problem isn’t that reality doesn’t exist there, the problem is I react as if it does. The sad thing is I cause myself so much suffering by reacting to my thoughts: projections of what I imagine could be, might happen and possible outcomes.

In WW we work on changing unhelpful thoughts and habits and this week we’re starting a new six-part series, “What happens in your body…” and week 1 is ….”when you build a new habit.”  Perfect timing. The second Fast Fact for this weeks’ topic is: “Each time we repeat an action, our brain cells associated with that activity or thought become more connected, making it more likely that we will do it again.”.  Okay, so years and years of living in my emotional reality instead of logical reality has firmly cemented my pathway to the nearest rabbit hole.  Nice. The goal then for me is to change my habit of projecting and jumping to conclusions by forming a new pathway in my thought process when dealing with the actions, or inactions, of other people.

1.Think big-picture: identify long term goal. My long-term goal is stop causing myself unnecessary suffering with my self-talk and to live in a peaceful, non-gut-wrenching state.
2. Pinpoint an old path:  immediately assuming responsibility for why someone does, or does not, do something is a direct path to a rabbit hole
3. Choose new path:  recognize that my thoughts are not always based on fact and understand people do the things they do for many different reasons.
4. Make a plan: when the negative self-talk starts I can choose a new thought pathway, one that does not contain rabbit holes. How?  By taking a moment to pause and remind myself that if I constantly make decisions that have nothing to do with other people, doesn’t it stand to reason, other people do the same? I am not responsible for the actions of others.

There are many reasons we might want to build a new habit but I think for most of us the desire to change comes from wanting to end some sort of suffering and that can be a very powerful motivator. For me the desire to build a new way to deal with what does, or does not happen, in my personal life, has become my primary focus because I know the positive ripple effect it will have on everything else in my life will be huge!  The thought of releasing myself from something I’ve never had control over (the actions of others) but took responsibility for, is exciting and freeing.  Imagine the space that will free up in my brain!

What habits of yours walk you away from your long-term goals?  What is one small, or not so small, path you could choose to take that would walk you towards that goal?  What kind of suffering motivates you to want to change?  How might your life be better with healthier habits? What are you waiting for…if not now, when?

No comments: