Monday 7 January 2019

Evolution not resolution!

 After a season of being merry and bright, many of us now feel bloated and blue!  I've talked with many WW members in the past week and we already feel our very sincere New Year's resolution to get right back on track waning.  But let's not forget when we likely made that resolution: either just before we were about to stretch the meaning of over-indulgence to the max "just one more time" OR the morning after when we felt sick with a nasty combination of shame, sugar and salt. 

I don't believe I have ever once stuck to a New Year's resolution so wisdom this year told me to not torture myself with the notion.  So I have decided this will be a year of evolution not resolution! Just as stating a possibility rather than a hard core goal has allowed me to gently work toward my objectives without the fear of failure I believe seeing my food journey as part of my evolution into my best self will also help release me from that same fear. 

For me "evolution: the gradual development of something, especially from a simple to a more complex form" , sounds much more inviting than "resolution: a firm decision to do or not do something."  And the idea of embracing the complexities of my emotional and physical relationship with food while learning to understand them rather than resolving to banish them does not raise a hint of fear of failing in me.  In fact it's very freeing.

And when I think back to my time with WW evolving is exactly what I've been doing.  That's not to say evolution is without challenges.  But synonyms like development, advancement, growth, rise, progress and expansion encourage us to acknowledge and build on what we've already accomplished and that feels good and brings on the joy!  And if something bring us joy we want to do it more.  Right?

So what about you?  Ready to evolve into your best self?  I have witnessed the evolution of so many of you, sometimes even when you yourself are not aware you are!  Every time you make a decision that is in your own best interest you are taking another step in your evolution. Remember, all the seemingly small healthy choices you make add up, they really do!

Is 2019 the year you will choose to lovingly help yourself 
evolve into your best self?
I hope so because each and everyone of us deserves the joy being our best selves will bring!

No comments: