Friday 22 May 2020

If it wasn’t for COVID-19 everything in my life would be fine.


If it wasn’t for COVID-19  I wouldn’t be sad, lonely, depressed and over-eating.  I’d be sleeping well and not over-thinking everything.  I wouldn’t have to worry about things I can’t control because I’d be able to control them.  I wouldn’t be afraid to try something new just in case it didn’t work out. Yup, none of that is true.

Everything I feel, and every reaction I have to those feelings, is the same as it was the days, weeks, months and years before COVID-19. That revelation is an eyeopener for me.  Since we are creatures of habit, does that perhaps mean how I’m feeling right now was not created by the COVID-19 situation? And because I’m not able to distract myself in the usual ways, has this allowed a light to shine on the thoughts and emotions I have become very adept at keeping in the dark?  Were my past distractions merely allowing me to avoid dealing with some lifelong issues?  Me thinks yes.
Distraction for many of us is an important, and sometimes life saving, coping mechanism we learned very early in life. And not that there’s anything wrong with distraction but if it keeps us from dealing with our issues or problems then all we’re doing is postponing their eventual uprising: “what we resist, will persist.”
 
I’ve found in the past weeks as long as I’ve kept busy doing something that validates me (like WW workshops, WW Voice Chat and writing) I feel fine, but the moment I stop working the sadness and depression takes over. And it’s not like I didn’t know this about myself before, I did, but before, I could set my other forms of distraction into motion: travel, looking after my parents, visiting my son or going out with friends. Each activity was enough to sustain the sense of validation until it was time to do the next one.

Living life in a manner that, until now, was inconceivable to us will understandably bring situational related feelings of fear, loneliness and anxiety. But now that I’ve adjusted to the day to day COVID-19 life, I’m still “down”.  I find myself rehashing past events, things I thought I’d come to terms with, but obviously hadn’t, are finding themselves unblocked by my go-to distractions so are taking center stage. It’s not fun, but I guess it’s necessary.  Time to let them speak.

I’m fond of asking my WW members, “What have you learned about yourself on this journey?” because I think that’s how we can see where we’ve changed and where we might still be stuck.  I have definitely learned where I am still stuck, and no surprise, it continues to be my sense of worthiness. This is so embarrassing but I remember feeling shocked 2 months ago at my degree of vanity/insecurity; while most people were stockpiling food, disinfectant and toilet paper, I was stockpiling 5 years worth of hair, makeup and nail supplies!!  Sadly, and pathetically really, the only part of that last sentence that isn’t true is the 5 years part, I only have enough for 1.  So, what do I really think?  That the only reason my friends and family love me is because I’m well groomed? Would I connect less with my WW peeps if I was not able to maintain full hair and makeup?
What I’m feeling as I sit in my car writing and watching people go walking on the beach, most of the women with at least 2 months of regrowth, is wonder.  I wonder what they have learned over their years of living that I have not.  It’s not that they don’t care about their appearance, obviously they do, but for some reason they’re not defined by it. I wonder what that feels like.  I’m wondering if I’ll have the nerve to post this piece.

What have you learned about yourself these past few months?  Are you plagued by the same fears and thoughts that ran through your head before COVID-19?  Is the lack of your particular distractions allowing old wounds and fears to rise up?

Here's what I’ve learned in the past 2 months of my journey: once my needs for food and safety were met, and my many practiced distractions were gone, the same old gremlins I’ve been alternately dealing with and supressing my whole life have surfaced and have taken over the asylum. Maybe being forced to let them come out into the light will be a good thing. Maybe I will never be rid of them but perhaps I can finally learn to accept they are part of who I am and it’s okay.  Maybe once they feel heard they won’t feel the need to be so loud.  That would be nice.

And, all the moment another feeling that keeps welling up is gratitude.  No matter how down I’m feeling I can always find something to feel grateful about. For instance, right now I’m so grateful I was a hairstylist a hundred years ago.  Ah, vanity, she has certainly done me in at times but right now I thank her because in difficult times she has forced me to get out of my pyjamas and do full hair and makeup!

 


No comments: