Friday 22 May 2020

Don’t look for ways to prove to yourself that you’re not doing well because your brain will happily supply them!


Do you ever notice when your thoughts start to go in one direction, thoughts of the same nature start to flood your brain?  Especially negative thoughts?  I found this online so it must be true: “In general, people have negative thoughts because they suffer and because they have fears. Humans, unlike animals, can extrapolate from their present circumstances and believe that they can predict the future. When things are going well, the future looks bright, when they are not, it looks dark.”  I would say after talking with so many of you through our workshops, and privately, that statement rings true for you, it certainly does for me.

What if we think of our brain as a search engine that houses all the thoughts and memories we have created in our lifetime and that every time we have a thought it’s like telling the brain to find more supporting “facts” for that thought?  Our brain doesn’t distinguish between positive or negative thoughts, not it’s job, so if you think you’re not doing well in your WW plan right now, your brain will provide all sorts of past thoughts and memories to prove what you’re thinking is true!  Now, as I’ve said before I am not a doctor (but still desperately want to play one on TV) however I’ve lived in my brain for a long time and I’ve observed the search engine that is my brain in action many times, so I know this is true for me.

You know the ads that pop up the side on your Facebook page or in online articles you click on?  How ads for shoes, dresses, linens, wall art, that you love, show up even though you are not looking? Everything you search for on the internet is stored so the next time you make a similar search you are instantly offered sites that support that search.  I picture  my brain working the same way; when I think I’m failing because I’m not getting enough exercise my brain instantly downloads thoughts to support that argument:  how hard can it be to go for a walk every day lots of others do it, lots of easy online workout classes and plenty of time to do them, I’m not disciplined enough to do wall push-ups that’s why my arms are so flabby and the fat still hangs over my bra because I’m too lazy to join the plank challenge….one thought after another proving my actual thought: I’m failing again because I’m lacking in one way or another. Does this sound familiar?  The real problem isn’t whether or not we’re lazy or undisciplined, the real problem is that we believe it to be true. And why do we believe it to be true? Because our brain supplies the “facts” which support that argument.  And round and round we go.

For the past few years in WW we’ve been working on changing our mindset, I think it’s safe to say we all now accept that is a mind-game.  So, we work on thinking positively, we post positive quotes and we have moments of genuinely believing we’re on the right track this time, but somehow, we often find ourselves back on the familiar negative merry-go-round. Why? Because if you could search the cache of your brain, for every 1 positive thought you have, you could have 200 negative ones; which ones do you think your brain is going to present to you first?  When you google something do you go to page 5 or 12, or do you only look at the first page of sites?
 
The good news?  We are not our thoughts, we are the observer of our thoughts and we are in charge of what we tell our brains to search for; I hardly ever see pops of animal print clothes or red boots on my Facebook page anymore.  Why?  I stopped searching for them and Google stopped sending them to me.  

“The goal is to be the observer of your thoughts and not let your thoughts control you.”  
Deepak Chopra

No comments: