Wednesday 14 January 2015

Be specific!



Somehow we've all learned how to wish and dream.  Once again it took me until I was 50 to learn that I had to be specific with my dreams and then turn those specifics into action in order to achieve my dreams.  Now why didn't we learn THAT in school?

When it comes to weight loss, are you specific?  Or do you just throw the "I want to lose weight" blanket over your thoughts and call it a goal?  Losing weight is no different than re-doing your bathroom.  You call in a professional and say you want a change your bathroom.  Do they just say great and re-do your bathroom?  Do they tell you what you want?  Do they select the floor tile?  Paint colour?  Pick out the vanity?  No, you give them the specifics.  And you are really careful that there is no mis-communication because we've all been on the end of that stick when it comes to generalizing about specific shades of floor tile or paint colour!  Specifics matter.

According to Jack Canfield, our brains "are goal-seeking organisms" but to "engage our sub-conscious mind the goal must be measurable".  So when you're thinking of your weight loss specifics define their "when, what and how"criteria: when do I want to reach my 5%?....what changes will I make in my evening snacking?....how can I make this happen?  



So you are specific and your bathroom is a masterpiece!  
And you take full credit because it was your specific ideas (and perhaps some craftsmanship on the part of the contractor) that made it happen!  And you think, "How awesome am I?".






No comments: